Nairobi, April 1- A group of over 50 youths ambushed cruise ship passengers in Mombasa, stealing valuables and forcing many tourists to cancel their planned excursions in the city. The attack took place at the well-known Pembe za Ndovu on Moi Avenue, sparking immediate deployment of security officers to key tourist areas by police and county officials.
The 1,169 passengers and crew had arrived aboard the MV Crystal Symphony from Mahe, Seychelles, and were set to depart for Zanzibar today (Tuesday). This was the last cruise ship to dock in Mombasa before the season officially ends in April, with the next one beginning in September.
Following the incident, officials from the Kenya Tourism Board (KTB) and the National Police Service (NPS) boarded the vessel to apologize and reassure the tourists.
“No passengers were injured, but most opted to return to the ship and cancel their planned visit to Old Town,” said a KTB officer, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Mombasa and neighboring Kwale County have been experiencing a wave of crime, with machete-wielding gangs targeting locals, businesses, and visitors. In response, security agencies have intensified crackdowns, arresting at least 200 suspects over the weekend.
Despite the security concerns, officials at the Mombasa Port Cruise Terminal emphasized the port’s growing reputation as a key cruise destination. Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) General Manager for Finance Geofrey Kaveta, who represented KPA Managing Director William Ruto, led government representatives in welcoming the ship’s passengers and crew.
“The arrival of this vessel underscores our port’s importance as a gateway to cruise tourism,” Kaveta noted.
KTB Deputy Director for PR and Corporate Communications, Wausi Walya, highlighted the increasing popularity of the Port of Mombasa, noting that some cruise ships now extend their stopovers beyond a single day.
“Cruise tourism plays a crucial role in Kenya’s tourism sector, creating employment opportunities while boosting the local economy. Our port boasts world-class infrastructure along the eastern rim of the Indian Ocean,” she stated.
As the cruise season ends, KTB and KPA will be attending the Sea Trade Cruise Global Convention, set to take place from April 7–10, 2025, in Miami Beach, Florida, USA.
“This global event will help position Mombasa as a top cruise destination. With our advanced facilities and skilled port handling, we anticipate even more cruise liners making stops here,” Walya remarked.
The 2024 edition of the convention attracted 11,000 attendees, 600 exhibitors, and over 70 cruise brands, making it the largest industry gathering worldwide.
Mombasa’s local handling agents, Inchcape Shipping Services, through Mombasa Port Captain Dr. Bwanaheri Lali, expressed optimism about the future of cruise tourism in the region.
“We are committed to working with key stakeholders like KPA and KTB to market Mombasa as a premier cruise port. We expect an even better season ahead,” said Dr. Lali, whose firm previously handled the arrivals of Ms Europa and Norwegian Dawn, the latter being officially received by President William Ruto last month.
Mombasa County’s Tourism Executive Mohamed Osman welcomed the continued interest in the city as a cruise destination, while Captain Tonli Hladilo of the Crystal Symphony thanked the authorities for their hospitality and promised more visits in the future.